Grey hairs: My seven years in the corporate jungle

Grey hairs: My seven years in the corporate jungle!

[A short post based on my seven year career in Consulting; warning - some contextual humor]

Overview:

July 1, 2013. I still remember the day. An awkward, shy, fresh-out-of-MBA  guy making his way into corporate life.

Fast forward to July 1, 2020. I will complete seven years at work – and that too in the Consulting industry, and in the same organization. And yes, while the Millennial trend is to switch jobs every 2.5 years, I am still there. Sounds strange, isn’t it?

Here is a “long list of disclaimers” before I begin (so that the scope is explicitly explained, and you don’t question me!)

·        This post is not a memoir (for that, please wait for 10 more years!)

·        This post is not a narcissistic, exaggerated account of modest achievements (for that, please visit my LinkedIn profile – or even your own!)

So, with that, my “context-setting” is complete. Let me dive into the actual content.

Executive summary:

This document attempts to highlight my learnings and experiences from the past seven years.

Please forgive me if the format seems too relatable, i.e., like a “typical consulting deliverable” (Also, you may see a lot of randomness and fluff, with very little actual value! Again typical consulting stuff!)

The document is divided into three parts (Three, because of the much overused “rule of three”. For additional information, click here)

·        Part A: My journey with the team (Signals)

·        Part B: My ten commandments at work (Observations)

·        Part B: What next! (Recommendations and asks)

Section divider | Part A: My journey with the team (Signals)

During the infamous “Who am I” icebreaker during the onboarding, I had created a mind-map of sorts, which had a picture of a ladder at the bottom (the only picture available in the magazine, unfortunately). And I had to come up with a creative way to explain the image to ‘who am I’. So, I said: “My dream is to have someone write a book about me in the future” (Clearly, as a 23-year-old, I was delusional and too optimistic in my abilities. Now almost nearing 30, I laugh at this!)

Another instance of my weird nature: Every time I hear leaders address a large gathering (yes even now!), my mind wonders, how it would be from the other side! Below is a speech I have rehearsed many times:

·        I was only 23, fresh out of college, when I started my journey with the team and Deloitte. Today, as I look back at my journey from the other side, addressing all you energetic young blood of campus hires, I feel truly blessed with the kind of opportunities, mentorship, guidance I have received in my career and I hope to offer the same to you!” (If I use this line as-is in a speech, I will be received by a bunch of sleepy heads. How do I add energy into this? Well, how about adding random nouns starting with the same letter – Deloitte gives you confidence, charisma, compassion, clarity – and several other Cs that will make the speech flowery! Or any other letter that you may like – you have the full flexibility!)

On a serious note, while I have made a fun of the speech, I truly feel grateful for the kind of people I have met along the way, in this team and Deloitte that have shaped me into the person I am.

Below are a few “Instagram signals” that demonstrate my love for the team and the people! (Should it be few, a few, some, several – that’s something I still haven’t managed to figure out yet. Anyone doing a research project, please help!)

·        Wonderful colleagues

And supportive team culture

We create magic


·        It is a pleasure

To work with smarter people

My inspiration

 

·        Why seek role models

Learn one trait from everyone

And you become one

 

As a reader, you may wonder, are these signals comprehensive? is there a countersignal? To allay your questions around “potential biases in the analysis”, here is a countersignal:

 

·        Frustrating list of

Tasks to accomplish today

Wish I had a clone

 

Key takeaway: As a team, we focus a lot on the end goal and the impact that we want to create. But as an individual, what matters more to me is the journey. The people that makes the journey fun, and the impact worth creating…

 

Section divider | Part B: My ten commandments at work (Observations)

At work, one is often told to observe the “working styles” of people. But what I have really learned during the seven years in the corporate jungle is about “myself”, and my reactions to situations and life.

Before jumping into my ten commandments, I wanted to share learnings from perhaps one of the lowest phases of the journey. Below are a few lines I penned on Aug 5, 2018 – when my US L1 visa was rejected

·        Yes, it will hurt for a while,

Yes, life will seem bleak for a few days,

Perhaps I’ll have to try hard even for a fake smile,

So, what I’ll do instead is click a teary-eyed picture,

To remind me the today’s pain will just be a speck from the past,

Coz you know what they say about doors, right?

 

Now, almost two years later, it doesn’t hurt much anymore. Perhaps, this is true for most of the things we do at work. We often overthink about a failed project that doesn’t go anywhere or even an outcome that doesn’t go our way, but trust me, it’s not worth it!

Over time, I have become much more resilient to shocks and disappointments – perhaps, even indifference.

In today’s uncertain times, we keep hearing the word “resilience”. This team taught me resilience – being unfazed by ambiguity, being able to have the self-belief to weather any storm, and overall, just having faith, that most things will work out. And even if some don’t, there are enough opportunities out there that can compensate for this.

With that, let me close the section with a bulleted list of the ‘ten commandments’ that keep me going:

1.      Inspire through actions

2.      Empower, not control

3.      Be genuine

4.      Listen and empathize

5.      Be forever curious and passionate

6.      Strive for excellence

7.      Choose wellbeing over work

8.      Accept the uncontrollable

9.      Fight for your rights

10.   Be restless and keep seeking meaning at work

Key takeaway: While the world celebrates individual brilliance, what I learned in this team, that “being there for others” matters equally, if not more.

 

Section divider | Part C: What next? (Recommendations and asks)

As in most of the Consulting documents, this section will be very vague and high-level, and a 1000 times toned-down version of what we truly want to say. Below are a few asks:

·        Provide feedback and suggestions on the article, and share instances from your journey that will help me get to know you better

·        Consider thinking through what truly matters to you at work, and identify ways to apply the ten commandments in your day-to-day job

Note: This document doesn’t have an appendix, but feel free to reach out to me for additional questions or clarifications.

 

P.S., Damn, this document got sent without the word “DRAFT” added to it. Now, how do I recall the email message! I don’t even have an admin assistant who can teach me technology basics!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TO YOU, MY MOTHER!!

YOU HAVE ENRICHED MY LIFE!!

DRAVID: THE UNSUNG HERO!!